The St. Peter’s Health Partners palliative care service line, Palliative Care Partners, has launched an in-home physician palliative care consult service for patients with serious illness who need intensive management.
Francine Rainone, DO, Ph.D, FAAHPM, a specialist palliative care physician with more than 20 years of experience in all patient care settings, will provide in-home consults to fill the potential gaps in care as patients move between care settings.
Collaborating with the patient’s other medical care providers, Dr. Rainone will assess medical needs, help patients and families understand the medical issues they face, address their symptom needs and help with advance care planning. The service also provides social work support to assist patients and families with the emotional challenges and distress of serious illness.
Patients who can benefit from in-home palliative consults include individuals recently discharged from the hospital who are at high-risk for emergency room visits or readmission to the hospital. Additionally, any patient with serious or terminal illness who requires:
- Management of uncontrolled symptoms (e.g. pain, nausea, depression)
- Improved understanding of the trajectory of disease and prognosis
- Assistance with setting goals of care and advance care planning
Please note when considering a patient referral:
- Program services will initially extend to patients in Rensselaer County and parts of Albany County (Cohoes, Watervliet area).
- Referrals may be made by hospitals, physician offices, RN care managers and home health clinicians. Please see atttached referral form for your use.
- Palliative care is covered by most insurers.
Dr. Rainone can be reached at 518-605-4798. For more information about the service, or to make a referral, please call 518-833-1011.