Inpatient Visitation Expanding at St. Peter’s, Samaritan Hospitals Effective May 3
Effective Monday, May 3, 2021, St. Peter’s Health Partners (SPHP) will expand inpatient visitation at St. Peter’s Hospital and Samaritan Hospital to TWO unique visitors, per patient, per day. This is a change to the current guideline of one unique visitor, per patient, per day, which has been in place since March 8.
SPHP will permit two visitors over 18 years of age to visit an inpatient between 4 p.m. and 8 p.m., seven days a week, at St. Peter’s and Samaritan hospitals. SPHP will permit one visitor per patient – 24/7 – in its emergency departments at St. Peter’s Hospital and the Samaritan Hospital main and Albany Memorial campuses. SPHP reserves the right to restrict visitor access to its emergency departments depending on periods of high patient volume and other circumstances.
The decision was made due to a decrease in the regional rate of coronavirus cases — which is currently below two percent — in accordance with New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) guidelines.
Visitors who are at high risk for severe illness from COVID-19, such as older adults and those with underlying medical conditions, are strongly discouraged from visiting. Likewise, a planned visit to any patient who is at higher risk of acquiring and suffering significant consequences from COVID-19 should be considered a greater risk than benefit to that patient.
The DOH or SPHP may adjust visitation policies at any time, based on the prevalence of COVID-19 in a region or county, or for other related reasons.
*Please note this change only applies to these two hospitals, not our Continuing Care campuses.
- Peter’s Hospital & Samaritan Hospital: 4 p.m. to 8 p.m., 7 days a week, for inpatients; 24/7 for patients in the emergency departments.
- Sunnyview Rehabilitation Hospital: Visitation remains by appointment only, between the hours of 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., by calling 518-382-4500.
Face Coverings and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- All approved visitors will be asked to show ID and screened upon entry to the facility and must pass screening to visit.
- Visitors must wear a face mask. Visitors are encouraged to bring their own face mask, preferably one with no logo or writing. If the visitor does not have a face mask, the hospital will provide the visitor with a face mask at the entry screening station.
- Visitors must perform meticulous hand hygiene while at the hospital.
- Visitors for patients who are on enhanced droplet and contact precautions will be required to wear a face mask and PPE.
- All visitors MUST remain in the patient’s room and keep on the required face mask and PPE for the duration of the visit.
- When visitors leave, they must exit directly the way they entered.
- Visitors are not permitted to use the restrooms in the patient rooms or on the patient floors. Visitors are permitted to use the restrooms in the main lobby areas of the hospitals.
- Visitors who fail to agree to this guidance will be asked to leave the hospital.
St. Peter’s Health Partners continues to offer safe, accessible care in its emergency departments at St. Peter’s Hospital, Samaritan Hospital, and Samaritan Hospital – Albany Memorial Campus. Telehealth services are also a convenient option for patients. To make an appointment or to schedule a surgery, procedure, or in-person visit, please visit: https://www.sphp.com/virtualhealth/.