Journey Through The Body© – A Hands-on Discovery Adventure celebrates 20 years of education and growth in 2019! What started as four exhibits and a handful of dedicated staff has grown into the area’s largest and most popular annual kid’s health education exhibit, featuring 24 exhibits staffed by 800 volunteers.
This FREE, two-day event is designed to entertain and educate children and their parents about select parts of the human body; to learn about their functions, components, strengths and limitations; and to highlight ways to lead an active, healthy lifestyle.
Journey Through The Body is set to take place on the lower level of Crossgates Mall on:
Friday, March 22, from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., and
Saturday, March 23, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
The event is co-sponsored by WNYT-NewsChannel 13. WNYT Meteorologist Bob Kovachick and Anchor/Health Reporter Benita Zahn will be doing a live broadcast from the event on Friday, beginning at 4 p.m.
Updated, hands-on activities for 2019 include:
- A brand-new, 15′ x 15′ x 13′ inflatable heart and lung exhibit.
- A robotic surgery exhibit where kids and adults can operate a robot and learn how robotics, at the hands of trained medical professionals, are changing health care.
Just like in years past, kids will have the chance to explore larger-than-life-sized models of the brain, ear, teeth, and colon. Kids can walk through the giant models of the brain, colon, and ear, getting an up-close and personal look at how these important body parts work.
At nine feet tall, eight feet wide and 19 feet long, it is hard to miss to Capital Region’s largest ear! Pulsating lights show how sound moves through the ear and the dangers of exposure to loud noises or music. The model, like all exhibits at Journey Through The Body, is handicap-accessible.
Additional, hands-on activities at Journey Through The Body include:
- Good nutrition is critical to good health. Kids are encouraged to “shop” at our market exhibit, where registered dietitians will help them identify and select healthy, nutrient-rich foods that will fuel their bodies and imaginations!
- Germs are everywhere! Kids will find out where they lurk and how to get rid of them at the infection control exhibit, staffed by physicians and nurses from SPHP’s infection control and patient safety departments.
- The brain exhibit’s perennially popular obstacle course has been enhanced with new challenges this year – kids can put their minds and bodies to the test!
- Kids’ backpacks seem to get bigger and bigger each year – what effect is it having on their bones, joints, and spines?
- In our Danger House, kids will find a kitchen, bathroom, playroom and outdoor/garage area, each with everyday household items that can be dangerous to small children. Visitors are asked to identify the dangerous items, eventually emerging as a “Safety Kid,” complete with gold star!
Once again this year, Uno Pizzeria & Grill in Crossgates Mall is proud to support Journey Through The Body with its Dough Rai$ers program. Uno will donate up 20 percent of patrons’ checks, before tax and tip – both dine-in and takeout – to Journey Through The Body. Coupons to present at Uno will be available at the event, and everything they donate goes to enhance next year’s programs and exhibits.
For more information on Journey Through The Body, visit http://www.sphp.com/jttb